Sunday, July 15, 2012

First 10K-Ramblings and Lessons Learned

Finished my first 10K last night. My time was 1:05:03. It was such a great feeling. I got so hot and tired I thought I was going to either pass out or puke. I learned that, when experienced runners tell you not to change ANYTHING, believe them! I did not use my normal running water bottle with a squeeze top lid and kept splashing water up my nose when I tried to get a drink. Also, I used my brand new headphones……..that didn’t work at all, YIKES!

Running has taught me to believe in myself. It has given me strength and dignity and respect and an outlet for stress. I thank God for the wonder of his plan to give us things like this to help us connect with ourselves and Him in a new and incredible way. I was so proud of the ladies in my running group that ran with me. We got to have a long conversation and I realized that every single one has self-image issues. These are the most gorgeous, beautiful women, inside and out. Each told me how pretty I am and I did not believe them. I told them they are beautiful, but they did not believe me either! It never ceases to amaze me that every woman I know has this feeling. Where does it come from? Is it something that was said or done to us as a child? Is it the media’s fault? Is it that we compare ourselves to others too much? Is it a spiritual attack by a spiritual enemy? Or, is it something we are born with because of the fall of man that we continually contend with throughout our lifetime?

Although I’m not sure what the cause is, I am sure of the solution. We must begin to find our worth and value in Christ. I’m not talking about a surface level knowledge. I’m talking about a gut-wrenching, core realization that we were “fearfully and wonderfully made”. That God has a purpose and a plan for our lives; that it is incredible to be a woman of God and walk in the calling his has in our life; that it is okay to like ourselves without being prideful; that when our significant other says we are perfect, believe it.

 I don’t believe we really FEEL the depth of God’s unconditional love……… When you finally FEEL that he loves you regardless, it changes you for good. I wish I could help my fellow divas to experience the feeling of not only being okay with their life and their bodies, but experience what it is like to enjoy their bodies and revel in their lives. To be content as they are, today. And to look at each second as a gift and their body is a vessel that is going to make the life God planned for them possible. We are so quick to deflect a genuine compliment and be negative, but you are what you think you are. I am so blessed to be a part of this running group. I learned so much from my race last night. Funny how it’s never the lesson I expect to learn, but it is always the lesson God intended for me to learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment